#SayYestoFCS

#SayYestoFCS
Do you remember that feeling you finally had somewhere in your twenties (hopefully sooner), where you felt like you were starting to manage adulthood? Juggling bills, school, work, family, and friends all while trying to still figure yourself out as a human being is tough. Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) education made this process a lot smoother for me than what my friends were going through in college. Knowing how to budget my money, file taxes, successfully find an apartment while confidently reading through a rental agreement, and survive on a college student’s paycheck (did I say budget?), was the best thing I learned in high school.


Image result for adulting gif


Family Consumer Sciences has come a long way. Our roots began growing in 1899 when Home Economics was born. We continued to grow as strong women continued their formal education to establish a strong profession advocating for anything that made living easier, healthier and better for the community as a whole. In 1994, our name changed to Family and Consumer Sciences to show our growth as a profession and reflect the many aspects the field covers.
I decided to pursue a career in Family Consumer Sciences (FCS) somewhere between junior and senior year of high school. I had amazing FCS teachers that made learning fun and brought reality into the classroom before I was thrown out into the world as an 18-year-old “adult”.
As a sector of Career and Technical Education (CTE) I was able to take courses from middle school through college that prepared me for life and my career in education. I quickly grew a passion for educating others on how to survive the world we live in today and the one that is coming tomorrow. Having a college degree as diverse as FCS, I am able to obtain jobs in a wide range of careers from culinary, fashion design, education, interior design or human services. I get to make #adulting fun for our future generations and make our big scary world seem a little smaller and easier to tackle.


Instead of always hearing students and adults say,  “I wish I would have learned this in school” FCS teachers get to hear, “I’m so glad I learned this in school.”

“Family Consumer Sciences classes are extremely important and helpful. We learn things that students in other classes will not learn. We can use anything we learn about in actual life so we can survive. We learn that there are things in life that you are going to have to do that you are not going to want to do, but you have to push through and get it done so you can do the things you want to do.” Early Childhood Education students, 2017, VRHS.

“COMMIT TO BECOMING A

FAMILY & CONSUMER SCIENCES EDUCATOR!"


"We want you to "Say Yes to FCS"! - There is a huge demand for family and consumer sciences educators in secondary schools, Extension, and higher education. If you're ready to pursue a career in family and consumer sciences education (or you already are), show your commitment by completing our short online form. Your commitment will then be seen on our "Say Yes to FCS" interactive map below.”
Say Yes to FCS Online Commitment Form
Say Yes to FCS Online Commitment Interactive Map

Resources:
AAFCS. (2017). Say yes to FCS. Retrieved from https://www.aafcs.org/careers/all-careers/say-yes-to-fcs

I am a 3rd year high school Family Consumer Sciences teacher. I teach an Education Pathway for students interested in careers working with children or becoming a teacher. I love learning new things and advocating for what is best for students in all walks of life!


Follow me…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting "Social" in the Classroom

How to Become an EdTechTeam Summit Presenter

Quizizz vs Kahoot: The battle of the Game-Based Response Systems