Getting Certified, Oh My!


"What's all this talk about getting Google certified? What does that do for you as a teacher? Do you get paid more? What do you have to do?" All questions that I have heard from colleagues, friends, and even my parents. My response is simple... Times are changing and I better get with the times. I am learning what I need to learn so that my students can be successful. I am a life long learner. 





Getting certified doesn't mean that I get paid more monetarily, but I get "paid" by bringing these experiences into the classroom where my students can thrive and experience a new kind of learning and showcase their work. It takes a lot of extra time, personal time, to complete the necessary training to become a Google Certified Educator. But it is all very worth it in the end.



I started this journey last year after attending a Google Apps for Education Summit - now G-Suite. It opened my eyes to a new world that, as a newer teacher I hadn't even imagined. I was still getting into the swing of things. How to use teacher's guides, planning, what can I do, what should I NOT do, and so on. It was at this Summit that I wanted to learn more about everything Google and then some! Following the Summit, I found out I was going to teach a 1:1 Chromebook classroom. My mind flooded with ideas and thoughts for this new journey I was about to embark on. 


The training that the Google for Education Training Center offers is very beneficial. It is all available online and for FREE! Something all teachers love! There are tutorials, scenarios where you apply your learning, and review questions. When you are ready, you can take the certified educator exam. That exam is no joke!  So make sure to complete all modules, and practice questions. Apply what you have learned in the G-Suite, ask for help, and think about taking the exam with others so you can help each other out!

Learning never stops
Dedicated educators are lifelong learners. 


I have been teaching 4th grade since 2013. During my time in 4th grade, I was a LEx teacher for three of those years, where I had many students who fit a dyslexic profile. I then took on a 1:1 Chromebook Classroom, and currently I am a 1:1 iPad teacher. 

Connect with me :
@mgarrett@d49.org


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting "Social" in the Classroom

How to Become an EdTechTeam Summit Presenter

Quizizz vs Kahoot: The battle of the Game-Based Response Systems